Title: Ten Fragments of Ten Letters that Narcissa Malfoy, née Black, Never Sent
Word Count: 435
Warning (Highlight to view): For mild HBP spoilers.
Disclaimer: This piece is based on characters and situations created and owned by J.K. Rowling; various publishers, including, but not limited to: Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books, Raincoast Books; and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Author's Note: Written for anasuede's Unsent Letters Challenge.
1. "You said that you'd stay if even one of us accepted your choice. He's a nice boy. He's talented. He makes you happy. I know that Mother disapproves, but I do like him, and I can't blame you for and I hope that you'll never regret your choice. I believe I can accept your decision to marry Ted. I just wish you loved me more."
2. "They want me to marry Malfoy. He was supposed to be yours! You abandoned us, your family, your name, your blood, your sisters, and now I have to take your leavings. I hate you. I hate you so much I wish you were I hate you because he scares me, and I can't say no. Father says that he will curse me with childlessness if I marry another. It isn't fair! It isn't fair that you could choose, and I"
3. "She's so happy. She follows him around as though he had her leashed. How can a Black behave so? But I forget whom I'm asking. You followed your own master, didn't you?"
4. "His hands are cold. White and strong and cold—they sting when he touches me. I wish they were as hot as the eyes of his protégé. Is it wrong to want"
5. "I think that my husband's master is going to murder your friends. Warn them."
6. "The baby never stops crying. Even the house elves are frustrated. Lucius insists that I drug him quiet. He is angry all the time now, this man of yours I've married."
7. "I saw our cousin. He is nothing but a shell of his former self. He didn't even recognize me. And that is what will happen to you if Bellatrix has her way. I'm glad of it."
8. "I provoked him into beating me so badly that I lost our daughter. He beat me. The bastard beat me so badly I lost our daughter. I swore he would never get another child off of me. But it worked. In penitence, he has promised that my son will not be attending Durmstrang."
9. "I am left to my own devices most days, and all of the nights. It's just as well, for I could certainly not meet him at that school. He comes here, and Lucius never knows. He was the one who keyed the wards to accept him as family, after all."
10. "He still finds me useful loves me. He has agreed to look after Draco. I know he only did so to make our sister believe in him. I'm so frightened for my son. If you'd stayed, none of this would be happening now."