Spicy Vegan Celery-Potato Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup ginger, fresh, chopped
3/4 cup jalapeño peppers, chopped
1 cup onion, sliced
5 cups celery, chopped
8 oz white new potatoes, chopped
13 1/2 oz coconut milk + 13 1/2 oz water
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 cubes Rapunzel No-Salt-Added Vegetable Bouillon
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp thyme, dried
- Prepare ingredients as directed above.
- Sauté garlic, ginger, and jalapeño in olive oil for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and celery; Sauté for ten minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a simmer; cover and turn down heat to low before allowing to simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are quite tender.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender in the pot, or allow to cool and blend it in a blender.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Per cup: 173 calories, 14.1 g fat (9.7 saturated), 442 mg sodium, 11.6 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g dietary fiber, 1.9 g sugars, 2.8 g protein, 4% (58 mg) RDA calcium, 19% (3 mg) RDA iron, and 10% (478 mg) RDA potassium.
Shog bought a lot of celery on his recent run to the store because no one was buying it, and he figured I could do something with it. And you know, if one omitted half the potato and added at least an equal amount of apple with a tablespoon of honey, I think that would be a lovely soup, as well (but Shog despises the texture of apple, so I went the other way; he scored the ingredients and deserved to enjoy the results). :D
Oh, and either soup, but especially the apple version, would go well with a cashew cream, I believe. Thoughts? Have any of you made a cashew cream before?